Starting a FatherWise Men's Bible Study Group
- Gather a group of friends together to pray for God’s leadership. Pray for: Men God wants to be in the group, people to help you with your group needs, a place to meet
- You will need to contact the Kardo office in Houston or in your country to obtain workbooks for the men in your group.
Call toll free: 1-888-272-6972 or email@example.com
- Depending on where you will be holding your FatherWise group you will need to obtain permission from your pastor, leader or wife.
- Find out men who are interested in taking the study through neighbors, friends, school, church or family. Ask permission to put signs up at your church about the study with your contact information. Talk to the men who want to attend and see how many will be in the group, when and where it will be convenient to meet.
- If your group is larger than 6-10 you may consider getting someone to help you. This role is called a mentor. A mentor is a godly man who is growing in his faith and has a heart for other men.
- Suggested format:
1.5 - 2 Hour Format
30-40 minutes - Bible Study (Introduce the lesson, and discuss together)
30-40 minutes - Prayer Groups
30-40 minutes - Discussion of Practical skills
- First meeting suggestion: meet and greet each other, if possible; give out workbooks; instruct each man on how to pray within a FatherWise group (confidentiality a must); give instructions for class format.
Leadership Roles in FatherWise
This person should have the gift of administration and be able to pay attention to details. Here are a few of his responsibilities:
- Get approval from church if meeting there or wife if meeting in your home.
- Schedule a day and time for meeting.
- Invite men to come.
- Get additional help (mentors), if needed.
- Order materials.
- Begin each session.
A mentor is a facilitator of a small group. He is a wise and trusted teacher or counselor. You will need additional men to be mentors if your group is larger than 6-10. These responsibilities are:
- Be available to the men in his small group.
- Lead prayer time in the small group (explain confidentiality).
- Check on the men in his group during the week and offer encouragement.
- Minister to men in his group in time of need.
- Show love and acceptance to each member; warmth and unconditional love; be sensitive to each person; Isaiah 61:1-13 and Romans 8:1
Monthly Leadership Prayer Time
If at all possible, your leadership group should meet at least once a month (better is once a week) to pray for your FatherWise ministry. This is not a time to share your small mentoring group’s prayer requests because those should be kept confidential within your small group, unless, the man has asked you to share his request. This is a time to pray for FatherWise in your area and for the prayer requests of your leadership team.
The three basic components of a FatherWise Group: Bible Study, Prayer, and Discussion
This component of the FatherWise group is where men are taught specific Biblical lessons. FatherWise devotional bible study books are used for individual study and daily devotion to encourage and educate group members to develop a daily walk with the Lord. Men will discover from the Scriptures the principles for spiritual growth, marriage, and parenting.
This component of the FatherWise group is when members break into smaller groups for a more intimate time of sharing and praying together for their individual and corporate concerns. Mentoring Men and/or Team leaders lead the small group prayer segment of each meeting. Men praying with men about their concerns is a powerful part of each FatherWise meeting. FatherWise provides specific guidelines for prayer that have proven to be very effective in a group settings.
Click here for Prayer time guidelines. They are also printed within our Leader's Guides.
FatherWise Mentoring Men/Team Leaders lead the men to discuss practical life skills about marriage, parenting, and other issues related to men. Using the discussion questions in the workbooks, these skills cover such topics as effective discipline, creating a quiet time, romancing your wife, communication with your child, etc. Creative leaders may choose to use different methods such as needed.
So, where do I start?
Prayer. Ask God if you are called to lead FatherWise in your church, neighborhood, workplace or community. If you get a green light, check out our webstore for information on each study.
For more information, call us at 1-888-272-6972 or 713-849-9335 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Our home office is located in Houston, Texas.