How Can I Encourage My Child's Next Step Towards Christ?
- Begin praying for their salvation from the time you find out your wife is pregnant.
- Teach your child that God loves him and has a plan for him.
- Help your child have an awareness of sin.
- Answer your child’s spiritual questions in simple language.
- Explain Jesus dying on the cross, forgiveness of sin, and salvation.
- Wait on your child to be ready and keep praying.
- Pray the prayer with your child when he initiates the need for Jesus.
- Keep praying over your children and with them!
How Do I Spend Time Alone With God?
For a quiet time to be successful it needs to be somewhat planned. Not that a quiet time can’t be spontaneous or vary in what it looks like, but to be consistent we need a game plan.
- Place: What does it look like for you? Where can you get alone?
- Timing: What time of day do you have available or how can you change your schedule to better prioritize your quiet time?
- Tools: Bible, FatherWise study book, highlighter, journal, pen.
- Accountability: Do you have a partner? If not let’s pick one right now, preferably someone in this group!!
- Components: Praise music, reading Scripture (stopping to study and reflect), praying (written and verbal), reading a devotional book, writing in a journal (spiritual scrapbook), meditation and listening.
We have to look at our quiet times as if Jesus were a friend sitting there waiting on us to visit…because He IS! Would you stand up your best friend or even an acquaintance? He is waiting on you! Will you join Him?
How Do We Make Family Devotions a Reality?
One of the greatest spiritual foundations and traditions you can set for you family is to have a family devotion that is consistent. This is not always easy to accomplish. Here are some steps to make it work:
- Make a rock solid commitment to the family devotions. Don’t allow illness or fatigue to prevent it from happening!
- Get each of your children their own copy of the Bible and make sure the version is the same for each person.
- Form a circle when you talk about spiritual things so that each person can see the others and allow freedom to initiate spiritual conversation.
- If your children are old enough, allow everyone to read from the Bible taking turns.
- Choose a devotional book to follow or use a read-through-the-Bible in a year plan.
- If you have young children, read the Bible to them while they fill in a coloring page on the same subject. There are many great coloring page resources online. Have a family prayer time with each family member saying sentence prayers over other family members.
Answering Your Questions About Christianity:
Do You Know That You Know You Are A Christian? Do you know if you died today that you would reside in Heaven with Jesus? There is no decision in life you can make more important than this one.
Turning your life over to Jesus is the only way to have a relationship with God. You must go through Jesus to get to God. If you have never done this, ask God to speak to you as your read Truth in the book of Romans.
Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 5:8 - "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 10:9-10 - "That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."
Romans 10:13 - "For whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
To have a relationship with God, to become “born again” you must:
If you are ready, pray a prayer like this:
- Acknowledge that you are a sinner and that you need a relationship with Jesus Christ to save you from everlasting hell.
- Admit and confess your sins.
- Ask Jesus to save you by His grace.
- Allow Jesus Christ to rule your life.
Lord Jesus, I am a sinner and admit it. I am confessing this to You today. Forgive me of my sins. I want Your death on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins. I turn now from my sin and I turn to You. Save me and have mercy on me, Lord. Be my Master and my Lord. You alone are my God. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen. If you prayed this prayer for the first time be sure to call your pastor, our office, or Christian friend and share your new found faith! You are about to embark on an incredible journey in Christ!
What are Three Gifts Every Child Needs?
- The Blanket of Unconditional Love - We need to wrap our children in a blanket that says: “I love you – not based on your behavior or performance, but because you are mine.” Express unconditional love through time spent together, touching and showing loving gestures like hugs, and talk with them in non-threatening or disciplining times such as bedtime or dinnertime.
- Firm, fair boundaries - Our children need to know the rules – clear boundaries & the consequences if they step over the line. When they are young – 2 or 3 – those boundaries need to be really tight; as they grow, then we let out the rope a little more; if they step over the line, then we pull them back in.
- The Bread of Life – Jesus - We want to expose our children to Jesus – the Bread of Life! We can’t become a believer in Christ for our children but, we can lay the foundation create an environment for your child’s faith in Jesus to take root & grow. Model a life of total abandonment to Christ – let them “catch” you praying & reading the Bible. Instead of forcing it on them-live it!
Can there still be romance in our home?
After the honeymoon is over and life settles into a routine, keeping the spark in your marriage is sometimes a challenge. You can initiate fun dates with your mate with as little or as much effort as you want to put into it by:
- Think of some low cost dates or free dates such as talking a walk, riding bikes, or a picnic lunch.
- If you have the money saved, dream of some more “high end” places such as resorts or favorite restaurants that you could surprise your wife with for a treat.
- Try trading babysitting with trusted friends to keep the cost down to allow for a date night.
- Leave a compliment for her on her voice mail or by email.
- Learn how to give a good back or foot massage.
- Wear clothes that she appreciates.
- Speak kindly to your wife in public and private.
- Journal a “gratitude book” for her with 30 days of things you are thankful for about her.
- Surprise her with a long stem rose or love card.
How Do I Balance the Demands of Life as a Husband and Dad?
“Life” comes at us hard and fast. The only way to keep our heads above water and to fulfill our list of commitments is to keep our eyes focused on God through our devotional times reading, praying, listening, and obeying. Beyond that we must keep our priorities in order to be a godly man:
- Priority one – Relationship with God
- Priority two – Relationship with Wife
- Priority three – Relationship with Children
- Priority four – Relationship with Work
- Priority five – Relationship with World through Ministry
Many times it can be a struggle to maintain this order but God always rewards our obedience to keep our lives in order so that He can work through us. Ask Jesus to teach you how to align your priorities according to His will.
What are the Best Ways to Communicate With My Child?
At every age and stage of parenting, we communicate with our children. From the day we give birth to the day we take our last breath, we want to have great communication with our kids. Here are some tips:
- Use Dinner Time Table Talk – ask specific questions about their day at school, teacher, peers, activities, or classes. Avoid unpleasant subjects or dealing punishment at the dinner table.
- Bed Time – Sit down on the bed and chat a bit before bedtime. This is a non-threatening time and many children will open up during this time.
- When giving directions be very specific and look your child in the eye instead of yelling from another room. This makes it clear that they heard and understood the directions.
- Play board games to encourage family time. From time to time take your children on a “date” one on one…get ice cream for little ones, or maybe even coffee for an older teen or young adult.